Texas Turkey Bonanza
- Servings: 6
- Course: Main Dish
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner
- 2 cups dry black-eyed peas
- 8 cups water
- 1 to 3 fresh jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried leaf sage, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt 1 pound turkey or pork tenderloin, cut into1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (1 medium)
- 1/3 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 recipe Lime Sour Cream (see recipe below) or dairy sour cream (optional)
- Finely chopped fresh jalapeno chile pepper (optional)
Sort through peas to remove any pebbles or other foreign matter. Rinse peas.
In a large saucepan combine peas and the 5 cups of the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain and rinse peas.
In a 4- or 4-1/2-quart slow cooker combine peas, the remaining 3 cups water, the quartered jalapeno peppers, sage, and salt. Top with meat. Lime Sour Cream
In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup light dairy sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel, and 1 tablespoon lime juice.
Cover and chill before serving.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting.
Stir squash into mixture in cooker. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. Sprinkle each serving with red onion and cilantro. If desired, top with Lime Sour Cream and chopped jalapeno pepper.
Back to top