Red Bean, Chicken, and Sweet Potato Chili
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 to 8 hours (low) or 3 1/2 to 4 hours (high)
- Servings: 8
- Course: Main Dish
A great make-ahead meal, this chicken chili packs a punch with savory additions ginger, sweet potatoes, poblano peppers, and cilantro.
- Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1 14.5-ounce can beef broth
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (3 cups)
- 1 to 2 fresh poblano chile peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Hot cooked rice
- Sliced green onion (optional)
Line a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner; set aside.
In a very large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until vegetables just start to soften. Add garlic and ginger; cook and stir 1 minute. Add chicken; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is browned on all sides.
In the prepared slow cooker, combine the chicken mixture, beans, undrained tomatoes, broth, sweet potatoes, poblano peppers, and chili powder.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Serve chili directly from lined slow cooker. (Do not lift or transport liner with food inside.) Serve chili with rice. Top with green onion, if desired.
Cool slow cooker completely; remove liner and toss.
Back to top