Multigrain Apple Streusel Muffins
- Servings: 16 muffins
For effortless muffins, line the muffin pans with Reynolds® StayBrite® Baking Cups. Choose a color and pattern of baking cup to brighten these nutritious muffins, loaded with whole wheat flour, wheat germ, cinnamon, and applesauce. Baking cups make it easy to pop the baked muffins out of the pan and transfer to a plate or container, even when they're warm. Use a small ice cream scoop to fill cups 3/4 full with batter. This method helps keep batter in the baking cups and not on the pan where it could bake on and make cleanup a chore. With baking cups, cleanup is a snap.
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup spelt flour, whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup coarsely shredded or finely chopped, peeled tender-sweet apple (such as, Red Delicious, Fuji or Gala) (1 medium)
- Reynolds® StayBrite® Baking Cups
Line sixteen 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with Reynolds® StayBrite® Baking Cups and coat insides of paper cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
For topping: In a small bowl, stir together almonds, the 1/3 cup flour, the 2 tablespoons brown sugar and the 2 tablespoons melted butter. Set aside.
For muffins: In a large bowl, stir together the 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, the spelt flour, wheat germ, the 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
In a small bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, buttermilk and the 2 tablespoons melted butter. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in apple.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each three-fourths full. Sprinkle each with streusel topping.
Bake in a 400° oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown and a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups. Serve warm.
Used with permission. © Meredith Corporation. http://www.meredith.com. All rights reserved.
Back to top