Easy Beer Bratwurst
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours (high) or 8 hours (low)
- Servings: 6
- Course: Main Dish
These rich, savory brats are the perfect treat for your next backyard cookout or tailgate.
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) dark German beer
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 uncooked bratwurst links
- 6 hoagie buns, split and toasted
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce (optional)
- Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner
Line a 5-to 6-quart slow cooker with a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner. Open slow cooker liner and place it inside a slow cooker bowl. Fit liner snugly against the bottom and sides of bowl; pull top of liner over rim of bowl.
Add beer, onions, maple syrup, vinegar, caraway seeds, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce to the lined slow cooker. Stir gently with a rubber spatula to combine. Place bratwurst on top of the mixture in cooker.
Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or for 8 hours on low.
Carefully remove lid to allow steam to escape. Serve directly from slow cooker liner using a wooden or plastic utensil. Do not lift or transport liner with food inside. Cool slow cooker completely; remove liner and toss.
Serve bratwursts and onions in toasted buns topped with cheese and lettuce, if desired.