Criss-Cross Pizza Casserole
- Servings: 8
- Course: Main Dish
The fancy lattice work on the top of this pizza-like casserole is simple to do. Cut purchased pizza dough into strips and lay over the top of the casserole. For even more flavor, consider sprinkling some Italian herb blend over the top. Save even more time by lining the casserole with Reynolds Wrap® Pan Lining Paper. Reynolds Wrap® Pan Lining Paper combines the best of aluminum foil and parchment paper. The parchment paper side is non-stick so the casserole scoops out easily. The aluminum foil side makes it easy to mold to any shape or size casserole or pan. Simply line your casserole with the parchment side towards the food, and cook as you normally would. Now, when you're finished baking or cooking, just toss the mess away.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 yellow, red, and/or green sweet peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium zucchini (8 ounces), halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14 1/2-ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 5 ounces cooked chicken sausages (about 12 ounces total), halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 13.8-ounce package refrigerated pizza dough
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- Snipped fresh rosemary (optional)
- Reynolds® Pan Lining Paper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with Reynolds Wrap® Pan Lining Paper; set aside. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sweet peppers; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add zucchini and garlic; cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
Add tomatoes, sausages, half of the Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper to mixture in skillet. Bring to boiling; boil gently, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Meanwhile, unroll pizza dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a knife or pastry wheel, cut pizza dough into strips.
Remove skillet from heat. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and half of the mozzarella cheese. Spoon tomato mixture into prepared dish. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Arrange pizza dough strips atop casserole in a lattice pattern. Sprinkle with remaining Italian seasoning. Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until crust is brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, top with snipped fresh rosemary.
Used with permission. © Meredith Corporation. http://www.meredith.com. All rights reserved.
Back to top