Classic French Dips
- Cook Time: 9 - 10 hours on low
- Servings: 6
- Course: Main Dish
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- 1 large sweet onion (such as Vidalia, Maui, or Walla Walla), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices and separated into rings (1 cup)
- 1 2- to 2 1/2-pound fresh beef brisket or boneless beef bottom round roast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 dried thyme, marjoram, or oregano, crushed
- 1/2 black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup lower-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium red or green sweet pepper, sliced
- 1 16-ounce loaf whole grain baguette-style bread, cut crosswise into 6 pieces and halved lengthwise, or 6 whole grain hoagie buns, split, and, if desired, toasted
Place onions in a 3 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker lined with a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner. Trim separable fat from beef. If necessary, cut beef to fit cooker. Place beef on top of onions.
Sprinkle with garlic, thyme, and pepper. Pour beef broth, water, and Worcestershire sauce over all.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours for brisket or 8 to 9 hours for bottom round or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours for brisket or 4 to 4 1/2 hours for bottom round. Add red pepper to the slow cooker to soften slightly.
Transfer meat to a cutting board; thinly slice across the grain, removing any visible fat as you slice.
Using a slotted spoon, remove onions and red pepper from cooker.
Divide sliced brisket and onion and pepper slices among bread bottoms. Add bread tops.
Skim fat from cooking juices in cooker; pass juices for dipping sandwiches.