Zesty Sloppy Joes
- Servings: 8
- Course: Main Dish
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 6-ounce can vegetable juice
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons no-calorie, heat-stable granular sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons chopped, canned jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- Sweet pepper strips (optional)
- Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner
In a large skillet cook ground beef*, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat. TIP: You can substitute lean ground turkey (at least 93 percent lean, or 93/7) in place of ground beef.
Meanwhile, in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine vegetable juice, catsup, water, sugar substitute, jalapeno peppers (if desired), mustard, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce.
Stir in meat mixture.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
Spoon meat mixture onto bun halves. If desired, sprinkle with cheese and serve with sweet pepper strips.