Triple Mushroom Tart
- Servings: 10
Pre-baking is the secret behind a perfect crust for this elegant and rich appetizer tart. Refrigerated piecrust makes the recipe so simple to prepare. Line the pastry-filled tart pan with a double thickness of aluminum foil and bake. The double-layer of aluminum foil keeps the crust from bubbling up as it cooks. That way the crust is flat and even when the filling is added.
- 1/2 of a 15-ounce package folded refrigerated unbaked piecrust
- 1 cup sliced fresh brown or white mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh oyster mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh marjoram or 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (3 ounces)
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped Canadian-style bacon or cooked ham
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- Canadian-style bacon, cut into thin wedges (optional)
- Fresh marjoram sprigs or snipped fresh marjoram (optional)
- Aluminum foil
Using pastry according to package directions, ease into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press pastry into flutes on the side of the tart pan and trim even with top of pan. Do not prick. Line pastry with a double thickness of aluminum foil. Bake in a 450 degree F. oven for 8 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil; continue baking for 4 to 5 minutes or until set and dry. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook shiitake mushrooms, brown or white mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, and the 1 teaspoon marjoram in margarine or butter over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and any liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl combine Gruyere cheese, Swiss cheese, and the chopped Canadian-style bacon. Add mushroom mixture, eggs, milk, and chives. Stir to thoroughly mix. Pour carefully into partially baked pastry shell. Bake in the 375 degree F. oven about 20 minutes or until set and golden. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pan. Cut into wedges. If desired, garnish with Canadian-style bacon wedges and additional marjoram. Makes 10 appetizer servings.
Used with permission. © Meredith Corporation. http://www.meredith.com. All rights reserved.
Back to top