Sweet Potatoes Au Gratin
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes at 350°F Stand: 20 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Course: Side Dish
Create a perfect potluck dish with layers of thinly sliced potatoes and browned butter sauce, topped with cheese then baked until bubbly.
Reynolds Kitchens tip
You’re lucky this potluck favorite is so simple to make! And using bakeware pans makes transporting your holiday meals easy, plus even the cheesiest of dishes will lift right out of the pan. There will be no dirty dishes to bring home later— just toss the pan when you’re done!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half, light cream, or milk
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 small onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook, without stirring, about 4 minutes or until butter becomes brown and fragrant. Stir in the flour; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the half-and-half. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
ADD 3/4 cup of the cheese, stirring until cheese is melted. Stir in the thyme, salt, and pepper.
PLACE the potatoes and onion in a 9x13-inch Reynolds® Bakeware Pan. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and onion; sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
BAKE, covered loosely with Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil, about 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes more or until edges are brown. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving.
Back to top