Steak with Tuscan Tomato Sauce
- Servings: 4
Meat that gets tender the longer it cooks, like this boneless beef round steak, does well in the slow cooker. Here it simmers with seasoned canned tomatoes, sliced onion, some tapioca for thickener, plus thyme and pepper. The recipe can slow-cook all day, greeting you with mouthwatering aromas of herbed beef that's ready to be served. The longer a recipe cooks, the more it seems you need to scrub the slow cooker bowl. That's where the slow cooker liner steps in. After cooking, serve the recipe and cool the slow cooker. Remove the empty liner and toss. No scrubbing required!
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
- 2 cups hot cooked red chard, noodles, or brown rice (optional)
- Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- Disposable slow cooker liner
Trim fat from steak. In a large skillet brown steak on all sides in hot oil over medium heat. Drain off fat. Place the disposable slow cooker liner inside a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker bowl. Fit liner snugly against the bottom and sides; pull top of liner over rim of bowl.
Place onion in slow cooker. Sprinkle with tapioca, dried thyme, and pepper. Pour tomatoes over onion in cooker. Place steak on mixture in cooker.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
Transfer meat to a cutting board. Slice meat; serve with cooking sauce and, if desired, hot cooked chard, noodles, or rice. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme.
Used with permission. © Meredith Corporation. http://www.meredith.com. All rights reserved.
Back to top