Southwestern Pinto Bean Soup
- Course: Soups & Salads
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner
- 2 cups dry pinto beans
- 5 cups cold water
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- Shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- Snipped fresh cilantro and/or sliced green onions (optional)
- Desired crackers (optional)
Rinse dry beans. In a Dutch oven combine rinsed beans and the 5 cups cold water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine beans, broth, the 1/2 cup water, the onion, garlic, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Stir in undrained tomatoes; cover and cook for 30 minutes more.
If desired, partially mash mixture with a potato masher, leaving soup chunky.
If desired, top individual servings with cheese and cilantro and serve with crackers.
Back to top