Southwestern Bean Soup with Cornmeal Dumplings
- Servings: 6
- Course: Soups & Salads
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner
- 3 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, pinto beans, or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons instant beef or chicken bouillon granules
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Dash salt
- 1 Dash pepper
- 1 beaten egg white
- 2 tablespoons milk 1 tablespoon cooking oil
In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart crockery cooker combine water, beans, undrained tomatoes, corn, carrot, onion, undrained chili peppers, bouillon granules, chili powder, and garlic. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours.
In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper. In a small mixing bowl combine egg white, milk, and oil.
Add to flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined.
Drop dumpling mixture into 6 mounds atop the bubbling soup. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. (Do not lift lid while dumplings are cooking.)
Back to top