Slow Cooker Spicy Green Tomato Creole Stew
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours and 25 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8 servings
- Course: Side Dish, Main Dish
Cajun-influenced and full of flavor, this Slow Cooker Spicy Green Tomato Creole Stew recipe makes for a fool proof comfort food that never disappoints.
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 large green heirloom tomatoes, diced (about 2 pounds)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped, white and green parts separated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp, tails removed
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liners
Place a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner in the insert of a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker, press it as flat as possible against the bottom and sides, then fold the liner over the top.
Add the sausage, tomatoes, celery, green peppers, onions and scallion whites. Whisk together the tomato paste, flour, garlic, cayenne and 1/2 cup water in a small bowl.
Add the mixture to the slow cooker with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Toss to coat well.
Add the bay leaf, cover and cook until the vegetables are
cooked through and the stew thickens, 5 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper over the shrimp.
Submerge the shrimp in the broth in the slow cooker, cover and leave undisturbed until the shrimp turn pink and are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the scallion greens and serve over rice.
Back to top