Slow-Cooker Spanish Rice and Chicken
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes plus 6 to 7 hours (low) or 3 to 3 1/2 hours (high)
- Servings: 6
- Course: Main Dish
This slow-cooked rice-and-chicken meal brings plenty of heat to the table with jalapeño peppers, ground cumin, and fire-roasted tomatoes that will have your spice-loving family and friends clamoring for seconds.
- Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, halved, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 11-ounce can corn with red and green peppers
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 3/4 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro, plus additional for garnish
- Lime wedges and/or sour cream (optional)
Line a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner; set aside. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt.
In an extra-large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; add chicken. Cook over medium-high heat until browned, turning once. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet.
Add sweet pepper, onion, and jalapeño pepper to skillet. Cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add to slow cooker along with the beans, corn, and cumin. Pour chicken broth over mixture in cooker and gently stir to combine. Top with chicken.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Remove chicken. If using low, turn to high-heat setting. Stir tomatoes, rice, and cilantro into the mixture in the slow cooker. Cook 10 minutes.
Back to top