Slow Cooker Mexican Beef Stew
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 hours 10 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Course: Soups & Salads
Let the slow cooker do the work for you in this hearty south-of-the-border stew. And when you’re finished, simply toss the liner away and put away the slow cooker. No scrubbing or soaking required!
- 1 pound beef stew meat cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- Chopped avocado, cilantro, and/or crushed red pepper (optional)
- Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner
Line a slow cooker with a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner. Openslow cooker liner and place it inside a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker bowl. Fit liner snugly against the bottom and sides of bowl; pull top of liner over rim of bowl.
Coat the beef with flour. Cook and stir beef in a large skillet in hot oil over medium-high heat about 5 minutes or until browned.
Place the beans, carrots, onion, and garlic into the prepared slow cooker liner. Top with the beef. Add tomatoes, broth, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
Cover and cook on low 7 hours or until the beef is fork-tender.
Carefully remove lid to allow steam to escape. Stir in the corn gently with a rubber spatula. Cover and cook 10 minutes more or until heated through.
Serve stew directly from slow cooker liner using a wooden or plastic utensil. If desired, serve with avocado, cilantro, and/or crushed red pepper.
When finished, cool slow cooker completely; remove liner and toss. Do not lift or transport liner with food inside.