Slow-Cooker Indonesian Beef
- Servings: 6
- Course: Main Dish
Imagine coming home to a ready-to-serve meal, the aroma filling the kitchen. Your slow cooker does just that. Line it with a slow cooker liner and you have got instant cleanup. In this recipe an Indonesian-flavor brings an Asian touch to the slow-cooked beef. Curry, coconut milk, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and cayenne simmer with the beef. Buy some flatbread to cut into wedges and serve alongside with yogurt and lime.
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound small potatoes, about 2 inches in diameter, quartered
- 1/4 pound peeled baby carrots
- 1 ounce light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 large pitas or flatbreads, cut into wedges
- Chopped parsley, low-fat plain yogurt and lime wedges (optional)
- Disposable slow cooker liner
Place the disposable slow cooker liner inside a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker bowl. Fit liner snugly against the bottom and sides; pull top of liner over rim of bowl. Coat slow-cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season beef with 1/4 tsp each of the salt and pepper and add to skillet. Sauté 3 minutes per side.
Transfer beef to slow cooker. Layer in onion, potatoes and carrots. In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, curry, soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder and cayenne. Pour over beef and vegetables in slow cooker.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Gently stir in remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Serve over flatbread wedges with parsley, yogurt and lime, if desired.
Used with permission. © Meredith Corporation. http://www.meredith.com. All rights reserved.
Back to top