Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo with Shrimp
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Servings: 8
- Course: Soups & Salads
This Cajun-inspired dish practically makes itself. Just dump the ingredient in the slow cooker, toss in the shrimp a few minutes before serving and voila! Dinner is served.
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Make this dish inspired by ‘The Big Easy’ and make it as easy as can be! When you use a slow cooker liner, there’s virtually no cleanup to worry about afterwards. Plus, with no roux to make and no pots to scrub, you'll have extra time to sit back and relax with your family!
- 2 cans (14.5-oz. each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut up
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 green sweet pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound fresh or frozen medium shrimp, thawed if frozen, and peeled and deveined
- 4 cups hot cooked white or brown rice
LINE a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner.
ADD tomatoes, chicken, broth, green pepper, onion, celery, Cajun seasoning, garlic, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to prepared slow cooker. Stir gently with wooden spoon or rubber scraper to combine.
COVER and cook on low for 6 hours.
REMOVE lid and stir in shrimp gently with a wooden spoon or rubber scraper. Cover and cook about 3 minutes more, or until shrimp is opaque. Serve over cooked rice.
Back to top