Slow Cooker Chicken and Yellow Tomato Tortilla Soup
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours and 30 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8 servings
- Course: Side Dish, Main Dish
Our Slow Cooker Chicken and Yellow Tomato Tortilla Soup is fresh, flavorful and amazingly easy to prepare! It’s savory and simple, which makes it perfect for a busy weeknight or a rainy day.
Reynolds Kitchens Tip
Use a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner for cleanup in 8 seconds or less, guaranteed! There may be some slurping, but there won’t be any soaking or scrubbing.
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large yellow tomatoes, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 3 ears yellow corn, kernels cut from the cob (about 3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sauce from a can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges, for serving
- 3 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup crumbled Cotija cheese, for serving
- Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner
Blend the bell peppers, onions, one-quarter of the tomatoes, one-third of the corn kernels, 1 teaspoon of the chili powder and 1 cup water in a blender until smooth.
Stir in the chipotle sauce. Set aside.
Place a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner in the insert of a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker, press it as flat as possible against the bottom and sides, then fold the liner over the top.
Add the remaining tomatoes and corn. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder over the chicken and add it to the slow cooker.
Add the garlic and vegetable-chipotle mixture.
Cover and cook on high until the chicken is tender, about 5 hours.
Stir in the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to serve
Divide the soup among bowls, sprinkle with the tortilla chips, cilantro and Cotija and serve with lime wedges.
Back to top