Pumpkin-Patch Snack Mix
- Course: Appetizers & Snacks
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- Reynolds® Parchment Paper
- 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds* or purchased raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or salt
- 4 cups popped popcorn (about 1/4 cup unpopped)
- 3 cups bite-sized square cereal (any flavor, plain or sweetened)
- 1-1/2 cups pretzel knots or circles
- 1-1/2 cups candy corn, candy pumpkins, and/or candy-coated milk chocolate pieces
- 1 cup corn nuts or lightly salted dry-roasted cashews
In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin seeds, oil and kosher salt; stir to coat well. Spread mixture onto a parchment paper-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Let stand for 24 to 48 hours or till dry, stirring occasionally. Carefully remove paper from baking pan. Remove the seeds from the pumpkins, leaving behind as much of the fiber as you can.
Immediately place the seeds in a large bowl of water to avoid any fiber drying on the seeds. Transfer the pumpkin seeds to a colander. Thoroughly rinse the pumpkin seeds under cold running water, rubbing the seeds between your fingers until the pulp and strings are washed off.
Drain well. Or, use purchased shelled raw pumpkin seeds. If you prefer, substitute 1-1/2 cups shelled dry-roasted sunflower seeds for the pumpkin seeds and omit toasting in the oven.
Toast seeds in a 325°F oven for 40 to 50 minutes** or till lightly browned and crisp, stirring once or twice to brown the seeds evenly. Transfer seeds to paper towels; drain. Cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, combine toasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, popcorn, cereal, pretzel knots, candy corn and corn nuts. Add an additional 10 minutes to baking time if seeds are still slightly moist.
To store, place in a tightly covered container. Store at room temperature up to days. Makes about cups mix, twenty six / cup servings.
Plan on using the seeds from one large or 2 medium pumpkins for this recipe. If you don't have enough, ask your friends to share the seeds from their pumpkins with you.