Pumpkin, Chickpea, and Red Lentil Stew
- Servings: Six 1 1/3-cup servings
- Course: Soups & Salads
This hearty vegetarian recipe slow cooks all day for a meal you start in the morning and come home to at night. All kinds of flavors and textures blend in this slow cooker stew, including pumpkin, chickpeas, ginger, peanuts, and spice. Line your slow cooker with a slow cooker liner and save time with cleanup. Slow cooker liners can be used to make your favorite slow-cooker recipes without changing the cooking time or altering the taste. When the food is cooked and served, let the slow cooker cool, pull the empty liner from the cooker, and toss. No scrubbing needed.
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- 1 pound pie pumpkin or winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Plain nonfat yogurt (optional)
- Disposable slow cooker liner
Place the disposable slow cooker liner inside a 3-1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker bowl. Fit liner snugly against the bottom and sides; pull top of liner over rim of bowl. Combine pumpkin, chickpeas, carrots, onion, lentils, tomato paste, ginger, lime juice, cumin, salt, turmeric, and pepper; transfer to slow cooker. Pour broth over all in cooker.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Top each serving with peanuts, cilantro, and if desired, yogurt. Cool slow cooker completely; remove liner and discard. Makes 6 (1-1/3 cup) servings.
Used with permission. © Meredith Corporation. http://www.meredith.com. All rights reserved.
Back to top