Pork Stew with Polenta
- Servings: 4
- Course: Soups & Salads
The slow cooker was made for cuts like boneless pork country-style ribs that take to being cooked long and slow. This Italian-seasoned version cooks the ribs with onion, sweet pepper, onion, in a mixture of red wine and beef broth. Polenta is the perfect accompaniment. To cook the ribs in the suggested time, do not lift the lid to check food before the earliest recipe cook time. Each time the lid opens the slow cooker loses heat. After dinner, let the slow cooker cool and make sure all of the food has been removed, then toss the slow cooker liner. Wipe cooled slow cooker bowl with a clean, damp cloth or paper towel to easily clean up any dried on juices or spills.
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork country-style ribs
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green, yellow, and/or red sweet pepper (1 large)
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with basil and oregano, undrained
- 1 14-ounce can beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16-ounce tube refrigerated cooked polenta
- 2 cups torn fresh baby spinach (optional)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Disposable slow cooker liner
Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1-1/2- to 2-inch pieces. Place the disposable slow cooker liner inside a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker bowl. Fit liner snugly against the bottom and sides; pull top of liner over rim of bowl. Combine meat, onion, and sweet pepper. Stir in undrained tomatoes, broth, red wine, tapioca, Italian seasoning, salt, and garlic. Add to slow cooker
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
Meanwhile, prepare polenta according to package directions.
Just before serving, if desired, stir spinach into stew. Serve stew with polenta. If desired, sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese. Cool slow cooker completely; remove liner and discard.
Used with permission. © Meredith Corporation. http://www.meredith.com. All rights reserved.
Back to top