Pork Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings
- Servings: 4
- Course: Soups & Salads
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (2 cups)
- 1 12-ounce can (1-1/2 cups) beer or 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash pepper
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
Cut pork into 1-inch cubes. In a large skillet brown pork and garlic in hot oil. Drain well.
Meanwhile, in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart crockery cooker combine carrots, potatoes, beer, tapioca, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, thyme, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Stir in browned meat and undrained tomatoes.
Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour,1/2 cup cheddar cheese, cornmeal, baking powder, and pepper. Combine beaten egg, milk, and oil. Add to flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined. If stew was cooked on low-heat setting, turn crockery cooker to high-heat setting. Remove bay leaves. Stir stew; drop dumplings by tablespoonfuls onto stew.
Cover; cook for 50 minutes more (do not lift cover). Sprinkle dumplings with 2 tablespoons cheese.