Pork and Apricots with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Cook Time: 7 - 9 hours on low; 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours on high
- Servings: 8
- Course: Main Dish
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- 2-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 1 3-1/2- to 4-pound boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 12 to 16 ounces kielbasa or other smoked sausage links, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch-long pieces
- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth
- 3/4 cup apricot nectar
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
Line a 6-quart slow cooker with a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner.
Place sweet potatoes in the bottom of slow cooker.
Trim fat from pork roast.
Combine the tarragon, fennel seed, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; rub onto pork roast.
In a very large skillet, brown roast on all sides in hot oil. Drain off fat. Place meat on top of sweet potatoes in cooker. Add sausage. Pour broth and 1/2 cup of the apricot nectar over all.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours, adding dried apricots for the last 30 minutes of cooking. With a slotted spoon, transfer pork, sausage, and apricots to serving platter.
Transfer sweet potato chunks to a large bowl; mash with a potato masher. Strain cooking liquid into a glass measuring cup. Skim fat from cooking liquid; discard fat. Reserve 2 cups liquid (if necessary add chicken broth to measure 2 cups).
In a small bowl whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup apricot nectar and the cornstarch. In a medium saucepan, combine cooking liquid and the cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook for 2 minutes more.
Serve with pork and mashed sweet potatoes.
Back to top