Kickin' Chicken Chili
- Servings: 6 servings
This chicken chili gets it kick from green salsa. Choose a salsa that gives you as much kick as you'd like. Save cleanup time by using slow cooker liners because they can be used to make your favorite recipes without changing the cooking time or altering the taste. After cooking and serving the chili, let the slow cooker cool and remove any leftovers from the slow cooker liner and refrigerate or freeze in a separate container. Cooked foods should not stand at room temperature longer than 1 hour. Wipe cooled slow cooker bowl with a clean, damp cloth or paper towel to easily clean up any dried on juices or spills.
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil
- 1 16-ounce jar green salsa
- 1 16-ounce package frozen pepper stir-fry vegetables (yellow, green, and red sweet peppers, and onion)
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic
- Dairy sour cream (optional)
- Shredded cheese (optional)
- Disposable slow cooker liner
In a large bowl, toss chicken with cumin and salt to coat. In a large skillet, cook chicken, half at a time, in hot oil over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain off fat. Place the disposable slow cooker liner inside a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker bowl. Fit liner snugly against the bottom and sides; pull top of liner over rim of bowl. Place chicken in the slow cooker. Combine salsa, stir-fry vegetables, beans, and undrained tomatoes; add to slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
If desired, serve chili topped with sour cream and cheese. Cool slow cooker completely; remove liner and discard. Makes 6 servings.
Used with permission. © Meredith Corporation. http://www.meredith.com. All rights reserved.
Back to top