Kale and Brussels Slaw with Quinoa
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 6-8
- Course: Side Dish
This healthy, hearty slaw from Sara Forte of A Sprouted Kitchen is a delicious addition to your holiday menu.
- For the slaw:
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons cane sugar
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 small bunches or 1 large bunch Lacinato or Tuscan kale
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts
- 3/4 cup cooked and cooled quinoa
- 2/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup shaved Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil
- For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Line a small baking sheet with Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil. Set aside.
In a food processor, combine the shallots, vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, olive oil, salt and pepper and blend until smooth. Set aside.
In a non-stick pan over medium heat, combine the hazelnuts, sugar and cayenne. Stir with a silicone spatula until the sugar has melted and sticks to the nuts, about 5 minutes; turn down the heat to prevent burning if needed. Spread the sticky nuts out on the foil-lined sheet to cool. When the nuts are cool enough to handle, break them up by hand.
Stem the kale and chop well. Using a mandolin, shred the Brussels sprouts, discarding the tough ends. Combine both in a large salad bowl. Add the hazelnuts, quinoa, pomegranate seeds, green onions and cheese. Dress to your liking and serve immediately.
Back to top