Delightfully Light Green Bean Casserole
- Cook Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Course: Side Dish
Green bean casserole can get lighter with reduced-fat, reduced-sodium soup, a cracker-onion topper, and some slivered almonds for crunch. Serving casseroles is a cinch when your dish is lined with Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup finely crushed rich round crackers or fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 10 3/4-ounce can reduced-fat and reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, chopped, or one 2-ounce jar diced pimiento, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 9-ounce packages frozen French-cut green beans, thawed and drained
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Line a 2-quart casserole with Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil.
COOK onion in hot butter over medium heat until tender in a small saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in crushed crackers; set aside.
COMBINE soup, almonds, roasted peppers, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl. Stir in green beans. Transfer mixture to prepared casserole. Sprinkle with cracker mixture.
BAKE, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Makes 6 servings.
Used with permission. © Meredith Corporation. http://www.meredith.com. All rights reserved.
Back to top