- Servings: 6
- Course: Main Dish
For slow cooker fans, the slow cooker liner is a necessity. Use the slow cooker liner and you won't have to scrub or soak the slow cooker bowl after the meal. The liners fit 3- to 6.5-quart slow cookers. To use a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker with this chili, increase the meat in the recipe to 2 pounds and brown in an extra-large skillet. Line with the same slow cooker liner. Use two 15-ounce cans Great Northern beans or navy beans, 1 1/4 pounds fresh tomatillos or three 11-ounce cans tomatillos, 3/4 cup chopped onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, two 14-ounce cans chicken broth, 2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves, and 1 tablespoon lime juice. (Do not change the amounts of olive oil, green chile peppers, and salt.) Makes 8 servings.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can Great Northern or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 ounces fresh tomatillos, husked and chopped, or two 11-ounce cans tomatillos, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Dairy sour cream (optional)
- Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Disposable slow cooker liner
Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 3/4-inch pieces. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook half of the meat in hot oil until brown; remove meat from skillet. Repeat with the remaining meat. Drain off fat.
Place the disposable slow cooker liner inside a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker bowl. Fit liner snugly against the bottom and sides; pull top of liner over rim of bowl. Combine meat with drained beans, tomatillos, onion, undrained chile peppers, garlic, cumin, and salt; add to slow cooker. Pour broth over mixture in cooker.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Stir in spinach and lime juice. If desired, top each serving with sour cream and/or cilantro. Makes 6 servings.
Used with permission. © Meredith Corporation. http://www.meredith.com. All rights reserved.
Back to top