Chicken Stew with Potato Dumplings
- Cook Time: 4 hours (high) or 6 hours (low)
- Course: Soups & Salads
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch coins
- 2 ribs celery, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium-size parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch coins
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 package (1.1 pounds) shelf-stable fully cooked gnocchi (dumplings)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cool water
- Hot sauce, to taste
Place chicken in a 6-quart slow cooker lined with a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner. Top with carrots, celery, parsnips, sweet potato and scallions.
Cover with chicken broth and 1 cup water; season with sage, salt and pepper.
Cover slow cooker. Cook on HIGH heat for 4 hours or on LOW heat for 6 hours.
After cooking, uncover pot and remove chicken to a cutting board. If necessary, raise temperature to high.
Add gnocchi, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, let chicken cool slightly, then shred meat from bones, discarding bones.
Once gnocchi have cooked, return chicken to pot. Stir cornstarch-water mixture, and add to pot.
Cover and cook 10 to 20 minutes, until thickened slightly.
Add hot sauce to taste before serving.