Chicken with Sourdough-Mushroom Stuffing
- Cook Time: 4 - 5 hours
- Course: Main Dish
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 8 small chicken legs (thigh-drumstick piece), skinned (about 5 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups quartered or sliced fresh cremini, baby portobello, shiitake, and/or button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 cups sourdough baguette cut into 1-inch pieces (about 10 oz.)
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrot 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons snipped flat leaf Italian parsley
Lightly coat the inside of a 5-1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker lined with a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner with cooking spray. Reserve 1 teaspoon of the lemon peel.
In a small bowl combine remaining lemon peel, sage, seasoned salt and pepper. Remove 3/4 of the mixture and rub onto chicken legs.
Place chicken in slow cooker. Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet; add mushrooms and garlic.
Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until just tender. Stir in remaining sage mixture.
Transfer mushroom mixture to a large bowl. Add bread cubes, and shredded carrot. Drizzle with chicken broth, tossing gently.
Lightly pack stuffing on top of chicken. Cover and cook on highheat setting for to hours. Transfer stuffing and chicken to a platter.