Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Cook Time: 6 - 7 hours (low) or 3 - 3 1/2 hours (high)
- Servings: 8
- Course: Soups & Salads
These mini muffins make a great appetizer.
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Use a small ice cream scoop to fill cups 2/3 to 3/4 full with batter. This method helps keep batter in the baking cups and not on the pan where it could bake on and make cleanup a chore.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast or turkey breast (10 ounces)
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage links, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra or one 10-ounce package frozen cut okra, partially thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red or green sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
For roux: In a heavy medium saucepan, cook flour over medium heat about 6 minutes or until brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Gradually stir broth into flour. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
Pour thickened flour mixture into a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker lined with a Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner.
Add chicken, sausage, okra, the water, onion, sweet pepper, celery, garlic, thyme, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Skim off fat.
Serve gumbo over hot cooked brown rice.
To make these muffins ahead of time, prepare as directed and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 24 hours. To reheat, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wrap muffins in aluminum foil. Bake about 10 minutes or until warmed. Serve immediately. And don't forget, Reynolds® StayBrite® Baking Cups come in different colors and designs, so you can dress these muffins up for any occasion!