Beer & Cheddar Fondue
- Servings: 4-1/2 cups
- Course: Appetizers & Snacks
Two great ingredients—beer and cheddar cheese—will make this fondue be the first dish to disappear at any tailgate party. Line the bowl with a slow cooker liner to save on cleanup for sticky foods like this great fondue. If you double or triple the recipe for a larger gathering, consider serving the fondue in a slow cooker on low setting. The thick crock and gentle heat will keep the fondue warm and smooth for a long time. Just want to stay home? Use the same time and heat setting for your countertop slow cooker. And when you're finished, just let the slow cooker cool, remove the empty liner, and toss.
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (12 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded American cheese (8 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic, halved (optional)
- 2 cups beer
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- Nonstick cooking spray or disposable slow cooker liner
- Desired dippers (such as French or Italian bread pieces, soft pretzels, breadsticks, red sweet pepper pieces, broccoli florets, and/or carrot sticks)
- Disposable slow cooker liner
In a large bowl combine cheddar cheese and American cheese. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; toss gently to coat.
If desired, rub the bottom and side of a large saucepan with garlic halves; discard garlic. In the saucepan combine beer and bouillon granules. Bring to boiling over medium heat; reduce heat to medium-low. Gradually stir in cheese mixture, stirring after each addition until cheese is melted.
Place the disposable slow cooker liner inside a 1 1/2- or 2-quart slow cooker bowl. Fit liner snugly against the bottom and sides; pull top of liner over rim of bowl. Pour cheese mixture into the prepared cooker.
Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. If using vegetable dippers, tote them in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep fondue warm on warm-heat setting. (Fondue will keep warm, covered, on warm-heat setting for up to 4 hours.) Stir fondue before serving. Serve with desired dippers. Makes 18 servings.
Used with permission. © Meredith Corporation. http://www.meredith.com. All rights reserved.
Back to top