Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken with Rice)
- Cook Time: 4 - 5 hours on low or 2 - 2 1/2 hours on high
- Course: Main Dish
Reynolds Kitchens tip
Making Meal Magic is simple. Reynolds products help you to make your meals easier and faster. Learn how to cook your best with Reynolds Kitchens.
- 6 small skinless bone-in chicken breast halves (about 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 chipotle chile (from canned chipotle in adobo sauce)
- 1 can (14 ounces) low sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cup instant rice
- 1-1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 pint cherry tomato
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges, for serving
Rinse chicken and pat dry. Line slow cooker with Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner.
Combine oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Sprinkle half of spice mixture over chicken and rub in with fingers; set remaining aside.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Add chicken and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
Transfer to a 6-quartslow cooker.
Place canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, chipotle and remaining spice mixture in a blender. Cover and blend until almost smooth; pour over chicken. Add broth. Cover and cook, 4 to 5 hours on low or 2 to 2-1/2 hours on high.
Gently stir in rice, cover and cook on high, stirring once, 30 minutes.
Turn cooker off, stir in peas, cover and let stand 15 minutes.
Cut cherry tomatoes in half and toss with cilantro; serve over chicken and rice with lime wedges on the side.