Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken with Rice)
Cook Time: 4 to 5 hours on low or 2 to 2-1/2 hours on high
- 6 small skinless bone-in chicken breast halves (about 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 chipotle chile (from canned chipotle in adobo sauce)
- 1 can (14 ounces) low sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cup instant rice
- 1-1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 pint cherry tomato
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges, for serving
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add chicken and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a 6-quartslow cooker.
- Place canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, chipotle and remaining spice mixture in a blender. Cover and blend until almost smooth; pour over chicken. Add broth.
- Cover and cook, 4 to 5 hours on low or 2 to 2-1/2 hours on high.
- Gently stir in rice, cover and cook on high, stirring once, 30 minutes.
- Turn cooker off, stir in peas, cover and let stand 15 minutes.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half and toss with cilantro; serve over chicken and rice with lime wedges on the side.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Line slow cooker with Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner.
- Combine oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle half of spice mixture over chicken and rub in with fingers; set remaining aside.